Wednesday, December 09, 2009

40 - ain't nuttin' but a number

Well today i'm 40... old by standards of where I live and who I associate with. I think it's funny that I'm 40. I thought that I'd be about where I am. It's better in some ways than the dream but worse in others. I knew my Dad at 40. In fact I remember the day he turned 40. My cousins were in town because it was summer. My cousin Brett Johnson made my Dad a cake. It was a unique cake that was shaped like a mountain. I don't know how he did that kind of cake. But he did. Also he made it with green frosting that to me looked like a grassy mountain or hill. Then he put a flag on one side that said "40" and a toy hiker that was by the flag that was my Dad I guess making it over. So it was a unique Over the Hill cake. Anyway my Dad was a good sport ate the cake and moved on. I was 11 I think so about Skylar's age. Funny what you remember. I was thinking the other day, you know comparing my life now that I'm over the hill to my dads. It's pretty interesting because there are a lot of similarities. Here are a few. We used to tease my Dad that he was overweight. Well that was a mistake because I'm way heavier on my 40th birthday then he was. I'll blame that on me having an office job and him building homes and farming. He had 7 kids and so do I. Although his was a bit more of a round about way; step kids, adoption etc. than my path but still same (although I'll have my 8th soon enough). funny how it turns out...

Today I am working. But I plan on not doing much tonight. I will finally get to eat my cake. Mine is much cooler than my Dads... It captures what I like and I wonder if it isn't a bit kiddish. But I am a Dad of many kids so I guess that it is what I am. Thanks to my wonderful wife I had a party the other night that was fun. I couldn't cut that beautiful cake then so tonight I will. Here is a picture of it just in case you didn't see it. If you want to know where it came from I guess you'll have to ask Stacy. It is a lady in our ward that does these edible art cakes. She's amazing.



1 comment:

C Whetten said...

Happy Birthday to my favorite - Oldest Son-In-Law. Hope you had a great day and that you have an even greater year. We love you and are so glad that you are part of our family. Thanks for being such a good dad to all our grandkids and a wonderful husband to our daughter.