Wednesday, January 06, 2010

New arrival

We've got a newby at our house. Derek William Johnson was born the day after Christmas. He's a great lookin' kid (what would you expect, you've seen me). So we are all very excited. If you want to see pictures cruise over to Stacy's Blog (link on the side bar). What I'd like to blog about today is how blessed I am to now have 8 kids (yep 8) and how ignorant and silly people are that give me crap about having 8 kids... Just for the record we now have 4 boys and 4 girls.

First let me tell you how it works. Your little jokes about "don't you know what causes that?" and "get cable" and "you know there is a way to avoid that" are really funny ha ha ha! I know where baby's come from, I do have cable (satellite actually), and I do know ho contraception works. Here's the thing. I wanted kids. I didn't predict 8 but I'm good with whatever Stacy and I decide. Let me list some things that you "childless" or 1 or 2 child families are missing out on.

(note: If you want kids but just can't have them for one reason or another I'm not speaking to you. So don't be offended when none is intended see this LINK for what I mean by that)

1) You don't get to hear jokes like "What are you going for a football team?" and "Don't you know what causes that"?
2) You don't get to sit at Denny's and have an old lady come up to your wife and say "Are these all yours?" with a half scared/disgusted look on her face.

but
3) When you go on a trip not everyone has someone to be buddies with (and it changes throughout)
4) When you go to church you don't get your own bench
5) When you get home at night from work, there isn't always someone there for you to see
6) When you go on a family picnic your possibilities are limited. Ours are limitless we can do any activity big or small because we have then numbers to do it.

There a bunch of other nice things. We are always busy, don't sit around and do nothing and enjoy sacrificing for each other. I understand people just like to mock things that they don't understand or don't agree with. I had a coworker once say "how can you bring kids into this awful world?" I thought that was very sad and just said that they needed to get help to try to see some positive things in their life. I've also had people praise us for having the "courage" to have so many kids. Courage to have some kids that's nuts! I think it's great. It gives us activities, it gives us love in our home and in our community. It helps us influence and serve others as we can teach our kids to be a positive influence in their lives. I can't imagine not having a house full of kids.

So if you have a large family and are sick of the teasing and mocking attitudes or the "real world" then take solace and know that I hear it too. I think it's silly and ignorant for people to give me a hard time. I hope that people see that and understand that it's our choice and I could give them crap about their choices too. "What do you hate kids?"...

Just kidding I wouldn't do that but I may want too.

1 comment:

Ben said...

add on to one I just got hit with:
co-worker: So congrats on the new baby how many kids is that now?
Me: 8
Co-worker: REALLY? Wow! How do you do it:
Me: Oh we have lots of fun, always busy.
Co-worker: Man I'd commit suicide if I had that many kids! Really I would
Me: (silence) (what else is there to say?