Monday, March 15, 2010

ch-ch-changes!

I love newness. Or change, or anything that refocuses. I think that change is always good at some level. Sometimes change is bad, in part, but it usually refocuses me to do different things, better things or sometimes scary things. Things like a new year, a new job, a new boss, or a new home. I think that it gives me a chance to evaluate. I'm great at new year's resolutions. I keep them for a while. I'm not perfect. I give up or I stop doing them. BUT I love them. I really like new jobs too. I used to be a consultant. I'd get a new job about every 6-8 weeks. It was great. At first it was intimidating but after a while I liked it. I was "on" at all times. Absolutely no comfort level with co-workers or managers, and I had to prove myself over and over again. I even try to change my appearance. I think that my wife gets annoyed with this one. I get very bored very easy. Wake up, shower, shave, comb hair, put on deodorant, brush teeth, go to work, come home, go to bead, wake up, shower, shave, comb hair... you get the idea. So I change it. Quit shaving or grow a goatee, grow hair long, shave head, comb hair differently... anything to entertain myself. I need to do these things because 40+ miles to work, doing basically the same job for 8+ years day in day out gets a guy like me extremely bored.

I like my current job because it is stable, I'm home every night, I don't worry about much. However sometimes it gets stale. So I think of new ways to make it interesting. I think about applying for other jobs but always realize this is the one I want and want to keep food on the table. So my idea is to do something different. I can't have changes really (with 8 kids, a good job, a good home and a nice neighborhood, why change?), so I'm going to change my outlook on change. Stability in somethings is a change. There are some things I don't want to change... my family, my wife, my church calling, my friends and my hobbies (GO HORNETS!). But somethings I do want to change... and work to do just that! Hey, if you aren't improving (i.e. changing) then you are getting worse!

No comments: